Four years ago, Chef Brandon Chrostowski, Chef Gilbert Brenot and General Manager Michael Flaherty opened EDWINS Leadership Restaurant Institute: a non-profit French fine dining restaurant geared at teaching and mentoring previously incarcerated individuals and recovering addicts to learn and gain a career in culinary hospitality. The program has had immense success and critical acclaim in the rehabilitation and recovery community, and Brandon himself was recognized as one of CNN’s “Heroes” in 2016.
Spring 2018 marked one of the most anticipated restaurant openings of the year: Sérénité Restaurant. Working in conjunction with the Recovery Center of Medina County and open to anyone in the recovery community wishing to learn the techniques of classic French cuisine and service while earning a living, assistance with job placement, all within an environment of strength and support.
Students are paid to attend, just like they would be a normal restaurant job, however, over the course of 8 months they will learn every position of the restaurant, complete a short apprenticeship at another fine restaurant, as well as help with job placement upon completion. Students will also have full access to all of our resources and support that is being built through the Recovery Center of Medina County, including peer support, life skills coaching, recovery support sponsorship, legal aid, team building exercises events, and mentorship.
Culinary and hospitality curriculum will include:
- Culinary & Hospitality Industry 101
- Culinary Math
- Meat, Fish, Produce & Equipment ID
- Knife Cuts
- Making Stock, Thickening Agents, Clarified Butter & Soups
- Temporary & Permanent Emulsions
- Crème Anglaise, Pastry Cream & Ice Creams
- Creaming & Foaming
- 3-2-1 Baking Method
- Mother Sauces- Velouté, Tomato, Béchamel, Espagnol & Hollandaise
- Pasta, Rice Pilaf & Risotto
- Potato & Vegetable Cookery Egg Cookery
- Cooking Methods- Braising, Sautéing, Poaching, Grilling, Frying & Broiling
- Dietary Restrictions
- Hospitality 101
- Steps of Service
- Wine 101: Viticulture, Vinification, Service
- Beer 101
- Spirits & Liquor
- Coffee, Tea, Non-alcoholic Beverages